New babies are something to celebrate! Learn how to design a commemorative baby announcement using our Brother Free Design of the Month and the Brother Simply Appliqué™ software program. This combined design features an adorable font called Wishes, plus an easy to stitch appliqué shape included in the Simply Appliqué™ software program. You’ll learn a lot of basic commands in this software by working through this project. You may want to consider this idea for other special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, graduations, etc., etc., etc.!
Materials and Supplies
- Brother Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- Brother embroidery thread and bobbin thread
- Brother Free Design of the month – Animal Garland (
- Simply Appliqué™ software program
- Basic sewing notions, including good quality sewing thread and curved tip scissors for trimming appliqué.
- Temporary adhesive spray made specifically for embroidery, for securing fabric appliqué.
Fabric requirements for wall-hanging:
- One piece of cotton print 14” long X 20” wide for Front of Wall Hanging.
- Thin fusible fleece 14” long X 20” wide for stabilizing Front of Wall Hanging.
- Two pieces of cotton print 11” long X 7 ½” wide for Back of Wall Hanging.
- One piece of light colored coordinating cotton 8½” long X 12½” wide for embroidered appliqué.
- Lightweight fusible interfacing 8 ½” long X 10 ½” wide. Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of appliqué piece.
- One strip of fabric 12” long X 1 ½” wide for hanging finished piece.
Steps to Create Your Wall Hanging
Setting up the Design in Simply Appliqué™
- Take a look at the original colors for the design. Remember that embroidery is all about customizing so feel free to change the colors to coordinate with your fabrics and color scheme for the baby’s room. See Figure #1.