How To DIY Pun-Kins
With Halloween just three weeks away, most Americans have “PUMPKIN” on the brain. We’re drinking pumpkin flavored lattes, sniffing pumpkin scented candles, and dreaming up ways to incorporate these gorgeous gourds into our indoor and outdoor decor. We are not immune to this pumpkin preoccupation, so we created a DIY project guaranteed to satisfy your pumpkin-ee pangs. Read on to find out how to easily create a cluster of eye-catching dental themed “pun-kins”, perfect for displaying inside or outside your house!
We mustered up our best Halloween puns and slapped ’em on a pumpkin using… tattoo paper! SO easy for those of us (hand raised!) who have less than stellar handwriting. Let’s make some!
- Craft Paint
- Tattoo Paper
- Damp Towel or Paper Towel
1. Paint your pumpkins whatever color you’d like! I recommend doing a white “primer” layer first and then adding the color.
2. Download and print the puns (which are mirrored on purpose!) onto tattoo paper according to package instructions (all tattoo paper is different).
3. You’ll follow all the same directions to apply the tattoo to the pumpkin, just as if you were applying it to your skin! For ours, once the ink dried, we had to press the clear adhesive sheet on top of the printable and then I cut each pun out separetly.
4. Have a wet rag/paper towel ready but DO NOT get the tattoo wet until it’s on the pumpkin. Peel the clear sheet off, leaving the adhesive behind and place the tattoo where desired and rub with the wet cloth for 10-15 seconds. Carefully peel the paper off, leaving your tattoo behind! For the larger puns or if you’re pumpkin is super round, you can work in sections or cut the words of the tattoo apart and do one at a time.